It’s hard to get lost in the big articles and the legalistic writing styles that take 4 paragraphs to get to the point.
Let’s say this simply: When you’re buying a home, there are things that help and things that hurt. Don’t do those stupid things that will cost you money or get you declined for a loan.
Here is a handy list of 19 things NOT to do, because they’re boneheaded mistakes that can cost you money or prevent you from getting the mortgage preapproval you need to afford the home you’re looking at on Zillow.
These Things Can Prevent You From Getting Pre-approved For A Mortgage – Don’t Do Them!
- DON’T make a major purchase ( car, boat, jewelry, etc.. )
- DON’T apply for new credit ( even if you are pre-approved )
- DON’T open a new credit card
- DON’T transfer any balances from one account to another
- DON’T pay off charge-off without talking to with a loan officer
- DON’T pay off collections without talking with a loan officer
- DON’T buy any furniture
- DON’T close any credit accounts
- DON’T change bank accounts
- DON’T max out or over charge on your credit cards
- DON’T consolidate your debt into one or two cards
- DON’T take out a new loan
- DON’T start any home improvement projects
- DON’T finance any elective medical procedures
- DON’T open a new cell phone account
- DON’T join a new fitness club
- DON’T pay off any loans or credit cards without discussing it with a loan officer
- DON’T transfer funds between bank accounts while in escrow
- DON’T accept any GIFT money until you’ve discussed it with a loan officer
If you encounter a special situation, it’s best to mention it to us right away so a professional can help you determine the best way to achieve your goals.